Friday, June 20, 2014

Kevin Johnson Has Stuck To The Plan


Kevin Johnson is looking forward to his SR Season with Pace Academy in Atlanta, Georgia. He is a 6-foot, 170 pound rising-senior quarterback. Johnson is a mature quarterback who knows the game. His father played at the University of South Carolina and is now the head coach at Pace Academy. Coach Johnson has obviously laid out a plan for his son, and he has seemingly followed it to a tee. 

And, it is because of the success of that plan that I am now writing about such a wonderful individual. It was a pleasure to interact with Kevin and find out what he thinks of this recruiting process; his success on the field and in the classroom. 

He came off so focused and so mature. He knew where his successes and failures lied in last year; and, he voiced where he would like to end up this year. Again....very mature.

This three star recruit by way of 24/7 is looking to improve over his Jr Season where his team had a pedestrian record of 5-5.

This being his last hurrah on the HS level, I think he understands what’s at stake. I also get the feeling in talking to him that he understands the recruiting process, since his Dad has gone through it.

Kevin is a pocket passer for sure. He stands at 6’0 and has really benefited from the training of Coach Tony Ballard who is known as the Quarterback Guru. He indicated to me that he knew he wanted to be a quarterback at an early age. And, he credit his continued development to Coach Ballard. He says….
My progression of reading defenses and understanding the coverage I am facing has been because of Coach Ballard. I have really learned a lot from him. He is also a friend, and he makes sure to call and text me to check on me. I really owe a lot to him for the success I am having now.”
When I asked him to tell me who were some of his favorites in the game at the next two levels. He did not hesitate to mention Bridgewater from Louisville, who was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings, and then of course Peyton Manning who he says, "Has a great command of the game."

He has garnered offers from Marshall, Mercer, Middle Tennessee, James Maison, and Boston. And, with 1700 yards passing and 24 TDS I can understand why.

The scouting report on Kevin is…..
Not the biggest quarterback, but big enough, and very smart. He sees the field well, he throws a very catchable ball, and he showed good anticipation Sunday in our camp. He is a coach's son and it shows on the field. 
It was good to sit down with this QB who has gotten his share of national attention. He was so impressive when I heard his story and interacted with him, I thought it was time that he received a little more.
He said, “I am looking for an institution where I can find the right balance between the classroom and field.  I would like to pursue a University with an outstanding academic reputation in the field of Criminal Justice.  Ideally, my athletic environment would be one where I could make an immediate impact on the team.  I believe my best fit would be at the D1-A or D1-AA level.  I am also interested in historically black schools.”
It’s good to see him understand the process for what it is. It is also good to hear him voice the mindset that he is not oppose to the idea of more than just Div 1 Schools and Football Programs.

I have always said when meeting athletes and blogging about the process, that it’s important to play and get film on one’s self. And, if a D-1A, D-1AA level or HBCU offers that, you must not rule that out as the athlete. Nor can you rule out the possibility of HBCU play as an option. 

With his Father playing OL for the Gamecocks, Kevin is definitely getting some attention from the USC program and Gamecock Nation. I have monitored the message boards, and he is receiving high remarks from the fanatical college fans in Columbia, SC.

His Father as I mentioned is no stranger to this game and to the process. Coach Johnson has seen a lot of football and recruiting in his day. He had this to say about his son.....
Kevin worked really hard to get where he is today. I know he will continue his hard work and dedication both on and off the field. Hard work pays off if you stick to the plan.
I too wish him well. I have no doubt he will make the right decision. His GPA is in a place where he could actually receive an academic scholarship. Not only are the parents affecting his play on the field but, they are steering him in the right direction in the classroom. I applaud the entire family.

I expect Kevin to be an early entry. I expect Kevin to be on someone’s roster for Spring Ball. And, I expect Kevin to continue his success in the classroom and on the field. 

Again, I will definitely follow his Senior Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment