Friday, June 20, 2014

Is Logan Byrd The Next Tim Tebow Or Blazing His Own Trail?

The next Tebow may not be doing him a lot of justice but, he definitely reminds me of that whole Tim Tebow wow factor when I watch him on film. Logan Byrd carries himself well in all aspects of his life. He values the concept of education, and he continues to progress on the field as the starting QB for the Warhawks of Veterans High School in Kathleen, Georgia.

As college football sports fan, we are all so fascinated with the top players and their commitment to our particular university or college. So, today the following of these athletes very early is not rare.

There are a lot of reasons why we follow them, including the emergence of Social Media that makes it so easy. But, most of all we fans feel vindicated and have a certain sense of affirmation when these athletes say, “I am going to the University of" You can complete the thought.

I deemed it important to write about Logan for so many reasons. His success at an early age is one of them; then, I find it impressive that his parents are so involved in the recruiting process but, stay so humbled by the obvious success their son is having; finally, that he is gotten to this stage in his athletic career because of the QB Guru himself, Coach Tony Ballard. I am very impressed with Coach as a Man, Mentor, and Trainer. 

All of these aspects inspired me to take note of Logan Byrd. But, I must also say,  "it a is bigger pleasure to sit down and talk to this young man and his family." Logan Byrd, his parents Mike and Shannon were a delight. They opened up to me and told me about their path to this point; and, I could not wait to share it with my readers.

Mike says, "Logan has always played football with a passion. And, we started noticing very early that he may have talent playing the game. He is a gentle kid that knows how to turn it on once he gets to the field." 

It is especially a pleasure when it seems the parents and the athletes get this thing right. And, when I say get it right…..I mean his parents expect a certain focus on academia and Logan has delivered. He is just as much a Superstar in the classroom as he is on the field.

I got a chance to spend some time with Logan Byrd, aka Tim Tebow. Again, he reminded me of Tebow so much while talking to him. And, if you see him on the field/film, you will definitely say the same thing. His body frame would indicate a lot more time at linebacker than at QB for sure. But, in this case, I am thinking the similarities end there. I am certainly hoping his future will lead to a lot more time in the NFL, which is of course unlike what Tebow was able to do.

But, that’s enough of the Tebow comparisons.

At 16 Logan is already 6’3 and 232lbs. He squats 425lbs and bench presses 295lbs.

In talking to the parents, they both seem very well grounded in all of
this. They realize the wonderful upside in all of this success. But, 
they take it in stride. They are very humble. Now, Dad says it’s no big deal at the games while watching his son. But, I think it’s important to note, Shannon (Mom) says otherwise.

As a matter of fact, she says, “Mike paces the sidelines and periodically yells things at his son during the game.”  Any she says, “At the games we dare not sit together.”

To say the least, Logan Bryd, QB, Veterans HS, Class of 2016's performances have warranted all of the attention. He directed his team to a Regional Championship. He passed for over 1300 yards in his Sophmore season, and rushed for almost 300 yards.  He also had seven touchdowns in 2013. He rotated at the position qs a Fr to begin the season but; by mid-season, it was his job to keep. I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming season. I say a State Championship is in the cards if Logan Byrd has anything to do with it.

He gives a lot of credit to his Quarterback Coach, Tony Ballard. He said, “I have been working with him since I was in the seventh grade. He has been there for me to talk about football and anything else in life. He has been the reason that I can go through my progressions on the field. He has broken down my mechanics and built them back up to what they are now. We text and talk often.

Logan is considered a pocket passer; a pass first passer. This athlete is also one that is willing to take off and steal some first downs. A lot like what Tebow did in college, and like what Blake Bortles did last year with UCF. That success got Bortles a first round pick in the recent NFL Draft.

He has garnered offers from Minnesota, Duke, North Carolina, Mercer, Virginia, Va Tech, and so many more that I can’t just name them all.

From my understanding he grew up a Georgia Bulldog fan. This Gator won't hold that against him. And, being in the Bulldogs back yard will definitely work in their favor. I hoping that he at least visit "The Swamp."

Either way, I will be looking out for this young star. The future is bright. There is nothing you can say about a young adult that’s better than, “he has his head on straight.”

In discussing how he going to make his decision in picking a college he tells Varsity Preps….

My ranking would be Education, Coaching Staff, Facilities, and Tradition. Though football beyond college would probably be any collegiate football player’s dream, planning for my career after college is more important. Getting the right education in a discipline of my choice will be the cornerstone of my success. Having the right coaching staff around me for 4 years is a very close second in importance.
I can’t wait to follow Logan’s path throughout this season. I sure hope my readers do the same. 

Please take a look at how Logan is spending his Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment