Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Gamecocks No Match For #1 Team In The Nation


With the Gamecocks coming to town I thought it would be highway robbery not to go see this team in person. In addition, I thought it was necessary to pay tribute to four young men who had given four years to the same team, same coach, and same program. And, now that may sound monotonous to some but, it is something that just does not happen that often anymore in the pros or on the college level.

Well, my decision was confirmed. It was worth every moment of my time. It was worth every "Go Gators," and Gator Chomp. The Gators were seasoned and poised enough to weather the emotional storm of a inferior team at their home, and then completely dominate them in the second half. And, it was this poise, experience from the warm ups to the last buzzer that made this more than a spectacle.

I had the chance to see a program with a future HOF Coach with dynamic players who developed through the system...that we will probably see at least three of them on the pro level next year.

Now, let me start by saying I am a complete homer when it comes to anything Florida Gator....and that disclaimer is out there for those who don't know that by being on my blog.

And, let me go ahead and give South Carolina credit for hanging tough in the first half. Deacon Felder said, "The Gators got lucky in the fact that Michael Frazier bailed us out in the game." I say to all the Gamecock fans, "This game would not have been close if the shots had fallen in the first twenty minutes." Our players were wide open and many occasions. USC's defense was not good. They lost their assignments several times.

But, that in itself is where the programs separated. The Gators' defense was suffering the entire game. In fact they created 17 steals on the night. And, that alone is why I love Coach Donovan so much. He continues to put defense first and build his teams.

The entire team though was fast....they were quick. And, South Carolina looked like the Ohio State Buckeyes OL from the 2006 BCS National Championship Game. They (the Buckeyes & the Gamecocks) had bad footwork....heavy feet. They were going no where fast. The Gamecocks in no way could keep up this fast pace in the second half. And, watching from my viewpoint I remained calmed, and it played out just as I thought it would.

And, a big shout out to the classless fans around me in Colonial Life Arena. The reason that you sell tickets to the public is so that both teams can have their fans show up and cheer for them respectively. And, I say to you all...."Don't take that complete domination personally." That's how it was suppose to play out. They are #1 in the nation for a reason. No one superstar on the team but, a TEAM. Not one of the Gators cared about who took the shot.

But, I digressed.

And, I think it's important to note, the two fans that threw debris on the floor, nor the fans that became agitated at my constant Go Gators are indicative of my past experiences at sport venues in Columbia, SC. But, this night was a classless display. I also say to those fans...."You didn't really think we were Kentucky did you?"

In review of the game....

The Gamecocks really didn't have a go to guy. For most of the game they were tentative shooters. There was only Brenton Williams who attempted 6 shots from behind the arc. He made two of them and the Gamecocks as a team was only 4-16 from the three. Again, very tentative on offense by the Gamecocks.

They seem to be a half court team. And, the full court pressure by the Gators disrupted who they were. The Gators love that Helter-Skelter play up and down the court. And, they continued it at the start of the second half. And, by the 8 minute mark in the second, the game was all but over.

Michael Frazier was hot in this game--no doubt. He hit five 3(s) in the first and then 6 of them in the second. But, give the Gamecocks some credit in this one. He was wide open for the shot 80% of the time.
"Somehow, some way, we didn't express to our players that Michael Frazier can shoot the basketball," South Carolina coach Frank Martin said.
And, Brenton Williams alluded to the fact, "Some times we didn't even know he had checked back into the game." Really???

Patric Young said, "We continued to be amaze at how they left him open, so we gave him the green light the entire game." Frazier took 18 shots from three. That is definitely the green light.

Wilbekin missed all of his attempts from three. And, the Gators as a whole didn't hit much from the outside. But, they stayed committed on defense--ran down plays and got rewarded with a lot of steals. And, they were just never rattled by the excited and loud crowd.

In the end, the onslaught of points in the beginning of the second sent a lot of
fans home early. Only a faithful few stayed for the entire massacre. And, I might add, there was a huge turnout by Gator Fans. Rev. Robinson and I were not the only ones there in orange and blue.

I could go on and on. And, as I said before, "I am a Gator Homer." And, I am proud of that. But, I don't want to get caught up in the pure raw emotions.

The fact still remains, there were two basketball programs on the court last night in Colonial Life Arena. But, they are definitely at two different stages in performance, talent, and results.

Go Gators!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment